Monday, December 6, 2010

Fins & Remedial Swimming

Thank you to everyone who has donated thus far! We are up to $2300, which translates to 2300 yards (1.3 miles) for me to swim. 

Given that every morning at the Y, I am by far the slowest person in the pool, including (no offense) the grandmothers and grandfathers, I figured I better meet with a "professional" to beef up my training plan and work on improving my stroke. 

Those of you who know me well will know that taking a swim lesson required swallowing huge amounts of pride and ego (in addition to pool water). Swim lesson? Me? I practically grew up at the pool and never met an ocean wave that I couldn't conquer. But smarter minds prevailed...

My "professional" was maybe 24 (maybe). But she did give me some good drills, which I put to the test this morning during a 1 mile, completely exhausting swim. I hope she knows what she is talking about, otherwise I am just going to be really, really tired while still swimming slowly!

Jessica, if you are out there, thanks for the tips and for pushing me to get on the kick board!

Final thought: People always ask me whether I get bored swimming. No, I don't get bored; I am concentrating too hard on not drowning!

No comments:

Post a Comment